Fairy Tail: Expanding Horizons

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Under Construction 8.6.22
A Means to an End EmptySat Aug 06, 2022 1:53 pm by Silver Wolf

» erzila Packs w.i.p
A Means to an End EmptyTue Oct 31, 2017 4:53 pm by erzlia packs

» Always be wary of being Watched
A Means to an End EmptySat Oct 07, 2017 1:17 pm by Ami~

» Kaido Kannagi (WIP)
A Means to an End EmptyMon Oct 02, 2017 6:12 pm by Kaido Kannagi

» test
A Means to an End EmptyMon Oct 02, 2017 5:39 pm by Kaido Kannagi

» The Official Face Claim List
A Means to an End EmptyMon Oct 02, 2017 5:35 pm by Kaido Kannagi

» The Watcher (WIP)
A Means to an End EmptySun Oct 01, 2017 8:47 am by TheWatcher

» The bard appears from the shadows.
A Means to an End EmptyFri Sep 22, 2017 10:42 am by Jinn Garay

» Skrím Ungur
A Means to an End EmptyMon Sep 18, 2017 6:15 am by Skrím Ungur

The Owner
Silver Wolf

Administrators
AmiiKitty PrydeRoland Gates

Moderators
Tatsumi YamatoZerina Zayne

Feel Free to Join!

Guests : 0
Hidden : 0
Users Online :
Refresh View the whole list

A Means to an End

Stars

A Means to an End Empty A Means to an End

Post by Stars Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:49 am

As Diane stood before the colosseum in the middle of nowhere, a nagging doubt entered her head. Was this what she needed to be doing? She needed to kill people, not team up with them. But, from what she had heard of the dark guild, this was exactly where she needed to be. She'd heard a rumor that the guildmaster, a man by the name of Ryoshi, had dreams of purifying the world in fire, an aim that Diane could completely respect and relate to. If that were the case, then she could gain a good set of allies out of Draco Maledicte, though she had every intention of slaughtering them all for their crimes. There was strength in numbers, regardless of whether they had importance to her or not. Besides, the nephilim was in need of a dependable shelter, and this one looked as good as any. She had traveled for miles on end in the desolate wasteland of Hell's Valley, following the hushed whispers of drunken tavern-goers wanting to talk about the darkness of the world, and she had found what she believed to be the guildhall. She didn't want to be here, but this was the hand she had been dealt. No matter how much she longed to return to her father, she had burned that bridge, and there was no going back from that. Taking a deep breath and letting go of her doubt and regret, she made her way up the stairs and into the guildhall beyond.
    Inside, Diane found herself walking to the bar in the back, eyeing her surroundings in awe. The interior had a dark beauty, which showed the nature of the guild it housed. The form fit the function, an artistic simplicity meant to highlight the occupants rather than the location itself, which Diane enjoyed. Finding a seat at the bar alone, she waited. If she was meant to join the guild, the guild would have to confront her. She had already given up so much of herself to merely be here, the least someone could do was approach her first.
    Ryoshi

A Means to an End Empty Re: A Means to an End

Post by Ryoshi Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:51 pm

Ryoshi exhaled in a sigh as he wiped the rag across the stone top of the bar counter. Today was one of the rare days when he walked among his members, serving them from behind the bar. It was ridiculous and he hated it, but it was necessary. He had found long ago that people were less willing to follow the orders of someone they had never met rather than someone they knew on sight. Throwing the rag into the bucket from a good fifteen feet away, he bent down and busied himself organizing the bottles of scotch for a minute or two. When he straightened  up again, a girl was sitting at the bar, almost directly across from him. Not even blinking, he leaned over the counter towards her.
    "Hello there. What can I get you?" he said, trying to sound amiable while projecting a smile that looked more like a smirk on his face. As he spoke, he took a good look at the girl. She looked to be in her late teens, but projected an aura of age. She had white hair, dark blue eyes that were almost purple, and was quite short. Other than that, she was unreadable. Well, there was an odd air about her, something that bespoke an ancient bloodline to the God Slayer. It was almost as if Ryoshi's blood was singing at her, but not in a good, romantic way. More of an 'itching to kill you' way. Trying to ignore this as he waited for her response, he grabbed a clean rag and began wiping a glass clean.
    Stars

Post by Stars Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:52 pm

Reading into the bartender's body language, Diane tensed. He was attractive in a dark and broody way, tall and muscular with black hair and eyes. He had a cocky smirk plastered to his face, but there was something off-putting about his reaction to her, as though the nephilim's presence personally threatened him. However, since he tried to hide it, so did she. "Whiskey, if you would be so kind." Normally Diane would go for a rosé, but she knew she was under scrutiny and wanted to make an impression. Not that it really mattered what she drank; she had been drinking for over a century, and alcohol never had much affect on her, thanks to her angelic blood, which wouldn't allow her judgement to be impaired by something as simple as alcohol. Or, was that her demon blood? Diane couldn't quite remember. "Also, I would like some information on Draco Maledicte." She had a feeling she was in the right place, but felt she should ask before assuming. After all, it is better to be safe than sorry, she figured. She had learned that lesson the hard way a century prior.
    Ryoshi

Post by Ryoshi Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:05 pm

Smirk widening a little, Ryoshi grabbed the bottle of whiskey and poured a shot into the glass he had been cleaning, then slid it over to the girl. Not even bothering to make sure she had it safely in her grasp, he bent down and replaced the bottle underneath the bar. When he straightened up, his smirk had slipped, leaving behind only a cold seriousness.
    "Draco Maledicte, huh? Well, you've come to the right place." he said. He was a little surprised. Never mind the strange feeling this girl gave him, he had never pegged her for a dark mage type. Sure, the guild hall might be smack dab in the middle of a desolate wasteland still rumored to be infected with toxic gas, but the occasional treasure hunter or wander still showed up at the building. That's why he was careful not to overtly declare that it was home to a dark guild anywhere on the outside or in the bar area. Ryoshi had assumed that this girl was one of those few who stumbled across the colosseum. Showing none of this surprise, he continued.
    "What is it you would like to know?" he said, leaning on the bar. He wouldn't reveal to her that this was the guild hall, no matter how many rumors she had heard or how sure she was that this was it, nor would he tell her he was the master of the guild she had come to find unless he was certain that her intentions were pure. It wouldn't do for him to let slip any important information to an undercover Rune Knight, or someone who might pass along said information to the authorities later on. He had to be sure.
    Stars

Post by Stars Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:22 pm

His smirk faded upon the mention of Draco Maledicte, which told Diane exactly what she needed to know: she was in the right place after all. Toying with the glass, she paused for a moment before answering the man's questions. She didn't want to give out any information on herself, expose herself to the man in any way, but she realized that she had little choice. In order to earn the trust of the guild, she would have to reveal at least something of herself to prove her loyalties. "Oh, not much. Just some general info on the guild and it's goals." Diane paused, the next words caught in her throat. This was the point of no return, and Diane had to take a moment to strengthen her resolve. She was doing the right thing, she just needed the courage to follow through. Looking up from her glass, she met the bartender's eyes. "Also, I would like information on joining, if you could manage that as well."
    Ryoshi

Post by Ryoshi Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:54 pm

Keeping his face neutral, Ryoshi nodded slowly. The girl was smart. He could see the recognition in her eyes right before she spoke. Perhaps he hadn't been subtle, dropping his fake smile so early. Oh well. It couldn't be helped now, so Ryoshi began to speak.
    "Well, if you knew enough to find this place and recognize that this was, in fact, the home of Draco Maledicte, you must already know a little about what we stand for. But in case you don't, or don't know enough, I'll fill you in. Draco Maledicte is a guild of justice. People who believe they were wronged, either by the government or by a fellow, and seeks vengeance comes here for shelter and allies. Sometimes they stick around to help others with their revenge. Those are the ones that join, usually. Of course, everyone is welcome, even the ones who don't personally seek justice. As for joining, you just need to speak to the master, tell him a little about yourself and your goals, and he will likely let you in. He isn't very picky." In the beginning, Ryoshi began to feel like he was saying too much, so he added the ending to possibly throw her off the trail. If she wasn't serious, he could be in danger if she figured out he was the master. In an effort to play it cool, Ryoshi grabbed himself a glass and poured himself a double shot of whiskey from the bottle he had used to serve the girl, then knocked it back instantly without flinching, slamming the glass back on the bar with a happy sigh. He loved whiskey, and it never failed to make him bold. Pouring himself another, he put the bottle back under the counter. This time, he was slow in sipping down the stiff drink.
    "Anything else you'd like to know?"
    Stars

Post by Stars Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:46 pm

Following suit, Diane lifted her glass to her lips and downed the liquid, a bit slower than the barkeep. She had no desire to make the man feel threatened, as he already was leaning more towards the hostile end of things, so she took her time in letting his description set in. So Draco Maledicte was for seekers of justice? Then she was right where she needed to be, for now at least. Eventually, she would need to destroy the place, killing all of the inhabitants, though that day was a long ways off. Until then, she would gladly aid in anything the guild needed of her, since she would be bringing more souls to eternal justice. But, something was off about his explanation, though Diane couldn't quite place exactly what it was. Sliding her glass slightly towards the bartender to signal him to fill it, she decided to ask the final question: "So where would I find the guild's master?"
    Ryoshi

Post by Ryoshi Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:49 pm

Smiling, Ryoshi grabbed the bottle again and filled the girl's glass, then swirled the remaining liquid inside the container. He was getting low on whiskey, so he'd need to order more soon. Beverage orders were done through the black market, so he could supply his entire bar for a fraction of the original price. Plus, black market dealers tend to ask fewer questions. And no one misses the ones who do. Placing the bottle back in it's rack, he replied to the girl.
    "Master Morgenstern is a bit of a recluse. He rarely leaves his office. If you go up the stairs until you reach the rooftop arena, his office is in the black box hanging in the middle. Pull the red cord, and he might let you in. Emphasis on might. If he does, climb the ladder to speak to him. But don't be intimidated, or he definitely won't let you join." he said. At this point, Ryoshi was having a little fun. Deceiving newcomers was a favorite hobby of his.
    Stars

Post by Stars Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:41 am

Diane watched as the man filled her glass, amused as he judged just how much longer the bottle would last. He now wore the smirk once more, but this time it felt more sincere. Something was up, and she wasn't sure whether to listen to the bartender’s advice or not. He wasn't telling her something, and she couldn't figure out what he was hiding about the guildmaster. She took a sip of her refilled whiskey, and decided to talk more before intruding upon the master’s isolation. “Thank you for the help, but I think I’ll finish my drink first.” Another sip for emphasis, and she thought she was doing well to conceal her true nature. That was between her and Draco Maledicte’s guildmaster, not the barkeep. For now, she just wanted to be the one-dimensional girl in a bar. “So, how long have you been a part of the guild, if you don't mind me asking?” Hoping to glean whatever knowledge she could from the man, and hoping to delay her visit with Master Morgenstern, she started poking at the bartender’s experiences with the guild.
    Ryoshi

Post by Ryoshi Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:46 pm

"So she's stalling, huh? That either means that she's nervous, or she's playing around. Either one could be dangerous." Ryoshi thought to himself, growing a little more serious. If she was nervous, she could either be nervous to meet the guild master or nervous that she would get caught. If she was playing, she could be hiding something or she could be trying to mine for information in a way that would be very dangerous to Draco Maledicte and Ryoshi himself. Therefore, he would do his best to deceive her.
    "Oh, a few months, close to a year. The master brought me in because I had a talent for serving people. And I had been smashed upside the head with a full bottle of beer by a unruly customer, and I wanted him dead. Needless to say, I got my vengeance." he said, fabricating quickly. After he finished speaking, he took a swig of whiskey, nearly draining his glass again.
    "What about you?" he asked when the slight burning sensation in his throat had faded. "How did you hear about Draco Maledicte? What made you decide to join?" This was a thinly veiled attempt to direct the conversation away from himself. He emptied his glass, then deciding against a refill, grabbed a bottle of vodka and filled his glass again.
    Stars

Post by Stars Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:21 pm

The bartender gave a brief explanation of his existence in the guild, but something struck Diane as being off. It was too vague for her tastes, as though he were intentionally leaving out information. If he were trying to recruit her, then he should have given a better explanation, perhaps more detail about this enigmatic master. Though, she realized, she probably was just being fussy because he didn't tell her anything. Lifting her glass to drink once more, he asked her about herself. Thankful that she was in the middle of an action and had some time to think, she calmly finished her whiskey and lowered the glass to the bar. Meeting the man’s eyes, she gave a slight smile. “Well, I guess you could say I'm just looking for some vengeance myself.” Her response was cold and biting, despite the warm tone. There wasn't anything he needed to know about her sources and reasons. “Now, if you don't mind, I will be off to meet Draco Maledicte’s master.” Gesturing to her empty glass, she gave him one last statement: “Just put them on my tab, the name is Diane.” Figuring that she had given enough about herself to the man, she stood, ready to try her luck with the master, though the instructions given to her gave room to much concern and doubt. Was this a trap? Did they know of her angelic heritage? Were they toying with her? How much did the bartender know, and how much had he relayed to the master within the short time she had been sitting here? Taking a breath and hoping she wasn't walking headfirst into her doom, she headed to the stairs. Upon reaching the obsidian office, she found the red rope she had been told of by the barkeep, reached out to pull it, and hesitated. Was she ready to do this? The guild was foreboding, but at least they had the goals Diane sought. She wished to grow stronger, so as to purify the world, and this was how. There was no room for error, no “plan B”, she would join Draco Maledicte, and that was that. With no further doubt, she took the cord in her right hand and pulled downward.
    Ryoshi

Post by Ryoshi Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:07 pm

The instant the girl was out of sight, Ryoshi chuckled, finished his drink and flashed into a streak of black flame, racing through the hallways of an alternate route to his office. If the girl was paying attention and also happened to be in the right place at the right time, she might notice the streak of ebony fire he was flashing across the arena on the opposite side of the obsidian cube from her, squeezing into the box through a small hole. The entire journey took only a few minutes. Once he was inside his office, he rematerialized sitting in his large black leather desk chair. The office was rather small, but the view it offered was unparalleled. The black tinted windows wrapped around the entire space, including the floor and ceiling. He could see for miles across the barren desert wasteland. His desk wrapped around three sides, leaving a space in the back for his private entrance. Across the desk from that was a space for the trapdoor and rope ladder. Sitting in silence for a moment, Ryoshi reflected that he was beginning to dislike the design of this office. The idea was cool, and the view was incredible, but the space was cramped and the cube trembled with every gust of wind that came along. In addition, it was a pain to enter and exit for everyone, not just himself.
    "Perhaps I'll rebuild my office sometime..." he muttered to himself.
    His musings were interrupted by a soft bell-like sound, signaling that someone had pulled the rope leading to his office. Looking down, he confirmed that it was the girl and spun his chair around to face the opposite direction of the trapdoor, then pressed the button that released the door itself. The door dropped and the ladder tumbled after it, unfolding as it went.
    "Enter." he growled loudly enough that the girl would be able to hear it. His chair was large enough that she would not be able to see who was on the other side of the back.
    Stars

Post by Stars Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:49 pm

A bell rang, and a familiar, but distant voice instructed her to enter. A rope ladder fell from the cube, and Diane regretted her decision to wear a dress. However, she took hold of the ladder and climbed into the black cube with ease. The space was a bit confining, but the nephilim admitted that it had its advantages. One could see everything from the eagle’s nest the master called his office. Inside, a large chair faced away from her, and Diane immediately knew that Ryoshi Morgenstern was in that chair. The fact that he didn't face her irked her slightly, but she made a point to not let that interfere with her discussion. She was here to join his guild after all, not become his enemy. “I am Diane Pyriel. I seek a place among the members of Draco Maledicte.” Her voice held, and she patiently waited for his response. She knew he would remain silent until he felt as though she were afraid, but Diane refused to be intimidated by him.
    Ryoshi

Post by Ryoshi Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:07 pm

Sitting silently in his chair, Ryoshi chuckled to himself. It was clear that Diane had no idea that he was the bartender, and he had no intentions of revealing himself just yet.
    "Hmm... Is that so? Perhaps I should explain to you in full the intentions of Draco Maledicte." he said, doing his best to make his voice sound deeper than it had earlier.
    "Draco Maledicte." he lingered on the name for a few seconds before continuing. "The name itself was drawn from an ancient ritual of expelling demons, written in a tongue long dead. According to my best attempt at translating it, Draco Maledicte either means 'The Dragon's Curse' or "The Curse of the Demon.' I found that rather fitting. This guild was born from my desire for justice in this world. For now, we reside in the shadows, exacting vengeance where we see fit. But the end goal is to amass an army and strike against the government of this country. The Magic Council and their Rune Knights, the King and his army. They are all corrupt. I have seen the truth of this. I saw it they day they burned my village, and everyone in it, to the ground, falsely branding us as traitors. Since that day, my true ambition, my one desire, was to purge this nation of corruption in a bath of cleansing fire. You, should you join my guild, and all of the other members of Draco Maledicte, will be among the vanguards in this upcoming war. If you do not believe that you can share in these ideals, or do not agree with my conviction, you must leave now and never look back. And if you speak a word to anyone else, I will personally hunt you down. Now, if you can convict yourself to my ambitions and pledge yourself to the cause of Draco Maledicte, swear yourself to me here and now." he said in an ominous, mysterious tone.
    Stars

Post by Stars Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Diane heard the faintest chuckle from the chair’s occupant, followed by a long description of Draco Maledicte. Every word held up to her expectations of the guild, and an inaudible sigh of relief escaped her as he mentioned the beliefs of Draco Maledicte. Then, he asked her to swear her loyalty to the guild, which caused her to tense, even though she knew it was coming. Taking a breath to announce her allegiance, she only hesitated a moment before responding to her soon-to-be master. “I hereby devote myself to Draco Maledicte and all of its causes. I shall serve the guild obediently and act in the interest of my master to the best of my ability.” She wholeheartedly agreed with the sentiments of the master, though she was just one step further. He wanted to cleanse the nation; she wanted to cleanse the world. Eventually, once Draco Maledicte and served it’s purpose, she intended to purify the guild itself. But, for the foreseeable future, Diane had every intention of being a perfectly obedient soldier in Master Morgenstern’s war.
    Ryoshi

Post by Ryoshi Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:47 pm

Ryoshi chuckled again. That was too easy.
    "Well said, Diane Pyriel, well said. Now, choose where you will show your convictions." he said, then held out his hand where she could see it. With a faint crackle, black fire sprang to life in his hand. Then, deciding to make things interesting, he began to slowly revolve his chair around to face her.
    "Are you ready to devote yourself to me, Diane Pyriel?" he said before finally revealing herself. He sat smugly in his oversized chair with one leg crossed over the other, his right hand supporting his chin and his left arm resting on the arm of the chair, ebony flames dancing in his palm.
    Stars

Post by Stars Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:00 pm

To say that the nephilim's jaw hit the floor would do her an injustice. Diane was outwardly as composed as ever to discover the truth of the bartender, but the look of absolute shock and horror was unmistakable in her eyes. He blatantly lied to her, even after he knew she wanted to join his guild. Was this his idea of a hazing ritual? She didn't hear his next remark, too busy being mad at her new master. She glared at him for a few more seconds, before tilting her head slightly to the right. "Excuse me?"
    Ryoshi

Post by Ryoshi Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:10 pm

Seeing the violent reaction in Diane's eyes while her face remained all-too-composed, Ryoshi merely smiled.
    "I see you recognize me. Yes, Diane, I am the bartender. Sometimes. You simply happened to catch me on an off day. I'd apologize for the deception, but it was necessary. You see, I am a wanted man. Every law organization in this country either wants me dead or in prison. Do you really think I would introduce myself as the master of this guild to anyone who stumbles in? That would be absurd and dangerous. And, to be honest, it was a little fun." he said, ranting a little before he caught himself. Sometime during his speech, he had clenched his fist, extinguishing his flames. He now leaned over the desk, resting his elbows on the surface and his chin on his interlaced fingers.
    "Now, as I said a moment ago, are you ready to devote yourself to me, Diane Pyriel, no matter what may happen?"
    Stars

Post by Stars Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:35 pm

So her new master was the type to play with his subordinates, Diane would make note of that. His reasons for deceiving her, other than to have some fun, made perfect sense, and her anger subsided slightly. However, she wasn't exactly the type to forget all wrongdoings. But, that was a matter for a different time. Now, he was demanding her devotion once more, and Diane had no choice but to offer it to him. "I am willing to devote myself to your causes, no matter the cost to myself." She knew he would note her slight alteration of his words, but she wasn't about to chain herself to a singular person, only his guild.
    Ryoshi

Post by Ryoshi Sat May 07, 2016 10:23 am

"So, she won't swear herself explicitly to me, but only to my guild. Interesting..." he thought to himself with a faint smile as he recognized her alteration to his demand. "Oh well. She will either be loyal, or she will die."

"Very well then." he said as he stood. Forming his right hand into a 'halberd' shape and pointing it directly at Diane's heart, he began to speak.
    "Oh thou wandering soul, by my advent, Master of the guild Draco Maledicte, I hereby bind your heart to me. Devote yourself to me, and you will flourish. Obey me, and you will be rewarded. Desert me, and you will be hunted. Betray me, and you will be slain. As is the law of Draco Maledicte. Rise now, Diane Pyriel, as a full member of my guild, and select the place where you will display your emblem of membership." As he spoke, ebony flames gathered once more around his outstretched fingers, and he began to trace them through the air, leaving behind streaks of black fire. When he finished speaking, he slashed his hand through the air and the flames formed the shape of a snake eating its own tail, the mark of Draco Maledicte.
    Stars

Post by Stars Sat May 07, 2016 2:48 pm

Diane was horrified. Her new master smirked a little upon her declaration, though, whether it was because of her allegiance or her word choice, Diane couldn't tell. What she did know, was that he gave a long speech about her loyalty, which was expected, and that he intended to brand her with the guild's mark. Like, actually burning it into her skin. She was well aware that guilds used crests to mark their members, but Diane didn't expect to have Draco Maledicte's burned into her, creating an ugly scar. Of course, she realized, she deserved nothing less than to be marked as the evil creature she was, and so reluctantly turned away from the guildmaster, hoping he would take this as a sign of trust. She pulled her white-blonde locks forward, unbuttoned the back of her dress, and let the undone dress slide downward, exposing her shoulderblades and a few inches beneath, where a part of a plain bra could be seen. Feeling as though she were selling her soul, though there wasn't anything left to sell, she stared forward, refusing to glance at Ryoshi. "Between my shoulderblades," Forcing her voice to stay level and audible took every ounce of will the nephilim had. She had chosen the place that, if she had been wholly angel or wholly demon, she would have wings. But, as if to add insult to injury to her existence, she had been granted none.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 3:16 am