Fairy Tail: Expanding Horizons

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Under Construction 8.6.22
Community fanfiction project: Phase 2 EmptySat Aug 06, 2022 1:53 pm by Silver Wolf

» erzila Packs w.i.p
Community fanfiction project: Phase 2 EmptyTue Oct 31, 2017 4:53 pm by erzlia packs

» Always be wary of being Watched
Community fanfiction project: Phase 2 EmptySat Oct 07, 2017 1:17 pm by Ami~

» Kaido Kannagi (WIP)
Community fanfiction project: Phase 2 EmptyMon Oct 02, 2017 6:12 pm by Kaido Kannagi

» test
Community fanfiction project: Phase 2 EmptyMon Oct 02, 2017 5:39 pm by Kaido Kannagi

» The Official Face Claim List
Community fanfiction project: Phase 2 EmptyMon Oct 02, 2017 5:35 pm by Kaido Kannagi

» The Watcher (WIP)
Community fanfiction project: Phase 2 EmptySun Oct 01, 2017 8:47 am by TheWatcher

» The bard appears from the shadows.
Community fanfiction project: Phase 2 EmptyFri Sep 22, 2017 10:42 am by Jinn Garay

» Skrím Ungur
Community fanfiction project: Phase 2 EmptyMon Sep 18, 2017 6:15 am by Skrím Ungur

The Owner
Silver Wolf

Administrators
AmiiKitty PrydeRoland Gates

Moderators
Tatsumi YamatoZerina Zayne

Feel Free to Join!

Guests : 0
Hidden : 0
Users Online :
Refresh View the whole list

Community fanfiction project: Phase 2

Claire Anderson

Community fanfiction project: Phase 2 Empty Community fanfiction project: Phase 2

Post by Claire Anderson Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:09 am

Welcome any and all to the community fanfiction project. This is a project that originally started in another forum, but was moved here following a series of events that is better not to bring up in this context.

Anyhoo, the idea is very simple: my plan is to develop a fanfiction with the help of the whole community. By this I mean, my goal is to build a story the casual fan would be interested in reading, by listening to the ideas and feedback of the casual fans, which would be each and every one of you. From the powers of the various characters to the basic ideas for development and plot advancement, you have a saying in everything.
    Furthermore, once I get to actually writing the thing, I would post it here before publishing it, so that you people can act as beta readers, pointing out grammar/spelling/punctuation mistakes, fixing clunky lines etc. After all, I am not a native English speaker, so while I have no problems roleplaying in English, I will probably need help for a project as ambitious as this one.
    In return, once the thing is done and I publish it on fanfiction.net or AO3, I will make sure to adequately advertise this community. Basically, this is an occasion to create a beautiful story, AND to give a lot of visibility to this forum while at it.

So, in order to make things easier, I had decided to split this project into phases: Phase 1 to discuss backstory and main plot points, Phase 2 to discuss characters in details, Phase 3 to plan out the flow of the plot and so on so forth. As of the work that has taken place on the other forum, Phase 1 is already complete, meaning that, in this topic, we will resume discussion on characters (Phase 2) from where it had been interrupted over there. To make it easier for you guys to understand what's going on, I am including, in this post, a complete recap of all things Phase 1, and in the next one I will include all things Phase 2 that have already been discussed. It is A LOT of catching up to do, but please bear with me. Also this is all original stuff don't steal.

General premise:

Backstory:

Quick overview of the main characters:

The main plot point, AKA the truth about Genny, Claire, and Otis:

Secondary plot point, AKA the connection between Spark and Claire:

This is all for the Phase 1 Recap. All the Phase 2 things that have already been discussed will be included in the next post.
    Claire Anderson

Community fanfiction project: Phase 2 Empty Re: Community fanfiction project: Phase 2

Post by Claire Anderson Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:10 am

Claire Anderson:

Timo Bertrand:
    Arya
    Arya

Community fanfiction project: Phase 2 Empty Re: Community fanfiction project: Phase 2

Post by Arya Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:08 pm

Timo:

While I'm not awesome with spells, I do have some thoughts on development for him. First off, his automaton: For a name, I personally vouch for Huǒ, being a derivative of Huǒbàn, which is Chinese (romanticized) for partner. I think this gets the point across of desiring companionship, but without being too on the nose with it. Other names I considered were Fùqīn (Father), Péng (or Péngyǒu, which means friend), and Língh (or Línghún, which means soul).

As for his development, personally I'm not a fan of love triangles, but I AM a fan of unrequited love. I think it would be neat if he initially had a crush on Claire that was unreturned by her, and so he gradually got over it and began to see her as family instead. This way he could perhaps still be manipulated by the villain (while he still is in love with her), but you don't find yourself stuck in too much of a rut when it comes to his development (which runs the risk of becoming too Claire-centric if he stays in love with her).

I might update with spells later, but right now my brain is shutting off, so... Yeah. Either way, I really like what you have so far, and you've piqued my interest. I'll be sure to try and attend this regularly now.
    Ami~
    Ami~
    Administrator

Post by Ami~ Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:33 pm

(Claire I'm soooooo sorry but I'll comment tomorrow I promise T_T I have so much work today. I'll edit this post so yea)
    Claire Anderson

Post by Claire Anderson Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:23 am

Ami~ wrote:(Claire I'm soooooo sorry but I'll comment tomorrow I promise T_T I have so much work today. I'll edit this post so yea)

Lol there was no need to post just to say this, take your time :p

And @Arya: thank you. "You have piqued my interest" is about the best compliment I can wish to receive, so again, thanks. Some things I would like to discuss:

1) Yeah, I too am worried that Timo's development would be too Claire-centric in the long run. My main priority with him is to explore his own backstory and family situation, and I don't want it to take backseat to a sentimental situation which, to be absolutely honest, I am not sure I'd be able to write effectively. So yeah, my main idea was to simply show him as the teenager he is: a kid that age, when surrounded by the displays of... Uh... Plot Fairy Tail as a series is famous for, would react in ways that would make for good comedy. Should I leave it at that, possibly with hints that his dislike for Spark is not caused just by the family situation, and then use it in a "soft" way for his character development (as in, subtly imply that he is growing from this point of view too, but don't do anything overly dramatic with it), or should I go the "unrequieted love route"? I am personally iffy about the latter, for essentially two reasons:
    - I don't want to overuse the "infighting" plot point (Claire vs Genny and Claire vs Spark are more or less guaranteed to happen, if Timo vs Spark also happens, the heroes will spend more time fighting themselves than fighting the baddies)
    - I am not very confident in my own writing abilities, when it comes to convey unrequieted love situations

On the other hand, you did make some convincing points in favor of it, and as far as my writing abilities go, the main purpose of this project is to improve them with your help, so yeah, I am not ruling out the option just yet. I would like to discuss it some more: there might be some "middle ground" options (like, Timo's attraction for Claire implied more strongly, but still for comedic purposes and doesn't lead to infighting, although it does lead to character growth) that we haven't considered, too.

2) The chinese ideas for naming Timo's automaton aren't bad, but I can see some issues with those:
    - I am a fan of theme naming. Like, I believe all the names of all spells of a character should follow a theme of sorts (I would actually have Beryl lampshade this, as she would tell Claire off for not namig her spells, and she would name them for her). So yeah, giving Timo a chinese theme would cause me to completely rely on you for spells etc, because I don't know a damn thing about chinese ;-;
    - Characterization-wise, WHY would he have a chinese theme anyway? In jap media, chinese themes are usually used to show that a character is foreign, but Timo is not...
    - How do you even make that o with that weird accent? o.O

EDIT: although come to think of it, the first issue could be solved by naming his main spells after signs of the chinese zodiac. Simple, straightforward, and effective theme, finding the chinese names around the web is simple, and at that point it makes sense for Timo's advanced automatons to be named after other chinese terms, possibly having to do with family. There is still the issue of why he would have a chinese theme to begin with, tho.
    Joe Wiccan

Post by Joe Wiccan Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:11 pm

I'm in favor of the unrequited love angle. I won't take up huge amounts of space and it won't interfere with the plot too much yet it will still provide valuable characterization and growth for Timo. It allows you to cut out the Spark/Timo fight as Timo is well aware he doesn't stand a chance with Claire by the time the fight would have taken place, it can have him hurt but show he is intelligent and in control.

As far as the name for spells, although the Chinese Zodiac could work i am of the mind set that with Timo, his background and history he wouldn't name his Automaton as such. Especially being that he is either European or Japanese. I would Suggest very Scientific names or Number codes. The Automaton could be "HS1" Which is a popular brand of Defibrillator called a HeartStart. You could then theme the attacks around medicine or medical procedures/Equipment. e.g. "Bonesaw" "Diamond Drill" "C17H19NO3/Morphine Punch)" I dunno just a suggestion.
    Claire Anderson

Post by Claire Anderson Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:32 pm

So let's see if I can work out something serviceable, keeping everyone's suggestions in mind: we could have Timo start off being... Uh... Interested in Claire's "plot", then develop a genuine interest in her, something in between a downplayed Precocious Crush (he is 14 or 15, while she... Well, she is technically 11 if you think about it, but looks and acts like she's in her early twenties) and a justified Can't act perverted towards a love interest (in that Timo would have this tendence to either nosebleed or, uh... Have a slim forelock of hair that stands perfectly erect, when other women tease him, but when Claire is the one to do something that excites him, like throwing away her jacket before a battle, he would get extremely embarrassed about his own reaction and try to hide it). Eventually, as part of his character development, he would get mature enough to understand that, while Claire did come to care a great deal about him, she just doesn't see him as a potential love interest, but merely as a good friend with "you are like a little brother to me" overtones. He realizes she's out of his league, so he simply lets go... Which would mark the moment when the two truly become an effective unit, near the end of the story. Claire may or may not acknowledge the situation before or after that. Would this work out, in your opinion? More importantly, is this something that you, as the average readers, would be interested in reading?

As far as his magic goes, two are the questions right now:

1) Leaving the names aside for a moment, what could be a possible theme for what the spells actually do? I mean, I don't like the idea of having him conjure a bunch of random stuff, I would like him to create a series of items that follow some sort of theme or concept, possibly having references to alchemy that are more explicit, compared to what Wahl does in the manga. He should have a "form" he sticks to, you know, like Lyon's Maker Magic has animals, or Ul's/Ultear's has flowers: one thing I never liked about Gray is how his own theme was too generic, and got watered down considerably over time.

2) Should the individual attacks of his automaton count as named spells (as is the case with Carl Clover, Timo's inspiration), or should it just, you know, punch people?

If we can answer these two questions, I think that coming up with ideas to, in Arya's words, "rationalize" this or that theme for the names will be easy enough. I must admit that my own ideas on this regard are, at least now, quite generic and confused, but if Icould get a bit of an input, just to focalize on a path to follow, I am confident that I could come up with something...
    Joe Wiccan

Post by Joe Wiccan Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:46 pm

If you want a theme for his spells i would again suggestion medicine or medical equipment but hyped up to the nth level. I feel it works with his scientific character and it could demonstrate and clinical and clean approach that Claire so obviously lacks due to her lack of control. Think Eliza and Faust from Shaman King (not sure if anybody reads or watches that but it's the best example i could think of)

2) I think the automaton should have "Special Versions" of the standard punches and kicks so that you can have the best of both worlds. Continuing with my medical theme idea, as well as standard punches you could employ a special "defibrilator Punch" that would shock on contact of have a stronger effect.

Not sure if any of this helps at all.
    Claire Anderson

Post by Claire Anderson Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:14 pm

That's where you lose me: you are still suggesting a theme for names, for a generic imagery, but not a theme for what the spells should actually create. Unless you are actually suggesting that Timo should make large syringes, stethoscopes, scalpels and the likes out of thin air, which however would feel kinda weird, also because his father is (and he wants to be) an alchemist and a scientist, but not an actual medic o.O

EDIT: unless, of course, I am completely failing to understand what you mean by" hyped to the next level", in which case, however, you should try and elaborate a bit more @.@
    Kylo Stark

Post by Kylo Stark Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:16 pm

Sorry 4 the wait! Like I said in the chatbox a couple of days ago I am really excited about this! I love fan fic stories, coming up with ideas! making characters, plot, settings, relationships! I love it all! I always planned on commenting and helping out but time always got the better of me. But now I can and im really excited! So all thats left to do in order to move forward is Timo's spell and sort of fighting style which i can definitely help with.

But my little useless two bits on Timo's relationship with Claire and how I think it should turn out. In the beginning its obvious that Timo is gonna be 'friendzoned' his admiration for Claire at first will and should go for the most part unnoticed and un-returned BUT as Timo get older and starts to fully establish himself as a powerful wizard and scientist (maybe he gets a growth spurt and is nice tall handsome young man lol) He doesn't move on because he feels she's out of his league. He moves on because he realizes he may be out of her league.

And this should happen if they don't end up together I think they should. Its way more exciting when the nice 'friendzoned' guy gets the girl in the end. OR doesn't get the girl because he has simply moved on to better things by becoming the coolest guy on the planet lol. Then she realizes its to late and its her loss. lol (maybe a but to much, but I think you get the point)

Now for Spells and Magic!

You guys had already came to the conclusion that he will be very versatile combining Archive, Requip, and weakness magic is genius and fits a young genius like Timo.

But as for a specific theme for his creations its rather hard. Because science can be so so broad. Plus i think it will limit him as far as spells go if you try and stick to a certain type of theme. In my opinion i think it would be best if you don't think of his spells as trying to stick to a certain theme. His whole theme will be science and his automatons and whatever else he may end up inventing and how that ties into his magic.

Im gonna edit the spells in tomorrow. Really sleepy.

Joe Wiccan

Post by Joe Wiccan Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:46 pm

I was indeed suggesting he actually summon medical equipment (Syringes and the Like but much larger so they could be used as weapons e.g. Scalpel Sword, Syringe Rail Gun, Defibrilator Boxing Gloves, Microscope Sniper Rifle). I simply was suggesting Medic because it was a theme within the Science area that would be easy to work with and his very first use of magic was in a medical capacity as he performed a medical miracle keeping himself alive with the automaton. And just because he wants to be an alchemist and research scientist does not mean he has no skill in other areas. The point i was trying to get across was that the theme for the abilities should be scientific in nature rather than an out fo the blue thing like the Chinese Zodiac (no Offense Arya) So if you can think of another Scientific Theme that would work better by all means go for it. Mine was simply a suggestion for you to head towards that direction.

I think for him to basically have his fathers move set but lesser would be awkward considering the two have never met (since he started using magic) and have very different personalities only really sharing an admiration and common goal. SO to keep mentioning his father is all well and good but without his presence the way he uses his magic is going to be extremely different because like all great scientists he figures things out through experimentation.
    Claire Anderson

Post by Claire Anderson Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:06 am

Ok we are starting to go a bit off track here...
    How about this: a chess theme. A big part of his personality is that he likes to surround himself with automatons, as they make him feel less alone, right? So yeah, I was thinking that a good theme for various types of marionettes could be chess (after all, smart people play chess). So yeah, you would have a small marionette named the Pawn, a bigger one named the Bishop and so on so forth. This makes it possible to give him a total of 6 "summons" (basically, they are alchemic homunculi), a number that increases exponentially when you remember WHY the magic is called "Weakness": see, the whole point of the magic is that its user would study you, observe you, understand what is your elemental weakness, and then create a humunculus capable of exploiting that very weakness (I.E. if you are weak to, say, Water, the user of Weakness creates a humunculus specialized in using Water spells). So yeah, even the most basic creation (Pawn) would come in different flavors, so to speak, depending on the opponent's weakness...

...Which in turn creates another parallel with Lucy because, just like in her case, he would get more powerful "summons" over time, and he would also learn how to perform advanced combos with them (combos which would be named after famous chess plays). The big automaton that Timo never dismisses, which he carries around all the time, could be the King: see, in chess the king isn't that strong, but if he is defeated you lose. Similarly, this automaton would not be that strong, but since it has within itself the mysterious lacrima, on which Timo relies to boost his own magical power, it would be crucial for his entire battle plan. So yeah, the main point would be "protect that lacrima at all costs", and so the King would be focused entirely on defense, leaving offensive duties to other pieces. As a sweet way to hint at his feelings for Claire, he could shape the offensively strongest piece (Queen) after her. By the time he can succesfully create the Queen, Timo will have improved in the use of this magic, to the point that his creations would be fully sentient, much like Wahl's: so yeah, it could be hilarious if the Queen also had Claire's personality, resulting in the two Claires bickering in the middle of a fight.

To round up his fighting style, Timo could also create weapons, shields and various enhancements for himself, but these would be less important spells: the bulk of his fighting style would rely on the chess pieces. In yet another parallel with Lucy, Timo could demonstrate just how much he has improved, later in the story, by using his "summons" to cast an uber spell (Lucy used Gemini to cast Urano Metria, Timo would use four Pawns, each with a different elemental allignment, to cast Abyss Break).

As for the characteristics of the automatons, they would mirror the chess pieces they are based on:

King - Core summon. Is always summoned and follows Timo around constantly. Doesn't have much in the way of personality, but it is sentient enough to want to protect Timo at all costs. Has huge claws it can use for offense, but it is maily a defensive unit, whose main goal is to protect the core lacrima as well as Timo himself. If this unit is destroyed, Timo's ability to summon the others is severely hindered.

Pawn - Basic summon. Scarce mobility. Can use physical attacks, as well as an elemental beam, fired from a chest cannon. The beam in question would be alligned with whatever element was used in the Pawn's creation.

Knight - Scout summon. Best mobility of all summons, but little beyond that. Looks like a centaur, can stomp on opponents or charge with a lance. Timo can ride on it for quick transportation (possibly recreating the "this is not transportation, this is a friend!" gag with Claire).

Bishop - Healer summon. Decent mobility. Can smack people with a mace, but physical combat is not its cup of tea. Can use healing spells, as well as basic ranged magic (again, the element of this magic depends on what element was used for its creation).

Tower - Tank summon. Has very bulky armor and can unleash brutally powerful physical attacks. If an element is used in its creation, it becomes completely immune to magic of that element.

Queen - Purely offensive summon. Shaped after Claire, has her same athletic abilities, in terms of strength and mobility. Its offensive spells rival, in terms of sheer power, those of an actualy Dragon Slayer, but this is still an alchemic creation, so yeah, the element it uses depends entirely on what Timo uses for its creation (it is not limited to Fire. This could be used for a gag in which Claire gets pissed at Timo, for creating a copy of her that uses a different element).

So yeah, versatile magic, held back by the fact that each summon can only make use of one single element (the one used in its creation), meaning that, to use multiple elements, Timo must summon multiple pieces at once, which takes a toll on his magic reserves after a while (hence why he uses four Pawns for Abyss Break: if he summoned four Queens at once, the remaining magic power wouldn't be enough to cast Abyss Break).
    The minor creations (weapons, tools etc) could probably be all sorts of stuff, things he would come up with on the fly, so we don't need to plan them out now, they will be created depending on the necessity of the moment. However, there should be at least two or three recurring ones: I was thinking of a jetpack, a hand cannon, and possibly a shield of sorts...

Thoughts on all this?
    Joe Wiccan

Post by Joe Wiccan Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:39 am

I like chess. I would suggest that he can only ever summon the amount of pieces found.on a board. Limiting him to 1 queen and 2 knights etc
    Claire Anderson

Post by Claire Anderson Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:59 am

So basically the maximum "army" he could summon would look like this:

8 Pawns
    2 each of Knights, Bishops and Towers
    1 Queen

Plus the King which is always out. I think it can work. Maybe we could have the "promotion" mechanic, which allows a Pawn, under certain circumstances, to turn into one of the other pieces? This would be an advanced technique, which would allow Timo to get more than one Queen on the field, for battles against big bad bosses later on. Such a mechanic exists in chess, so yeah, why not? Although, I'd need help figuring out what the conditions for promotion might be...

Any particular ideas for minor creations (weapons, tools etc)? I was thinking of an arm cannon (think Megaman), a jetpack, and possibly some sort of shield, but I have little inspiration beyond that o.O
    Joe Wiccan

Post by Joe Wiccan Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:01 am

Exactly! For the pawn promotion mechanic it could be something simple like killing a certain number of enemies but that seems a little boring. Though i am struggling to think of an interesting way to do it without being too complicated. Maybe have more powerful summons use multiple elements so to create a promoted pawn Timo must infuse a second element mid battle? I really don't know the mechanic could end up being quite complicated but i do think it could make for an interesting "but wait there's more" moment in a battle.

Side note: The Tower piece is referred to as a Rook
    Claire Anderson

Post by Claire Anderson Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:21 pm

Ah yes, I always forget about that. Rook is the name. Welp, I am rationalizing everything and editing Timo's post. As for the promotion mechanic, I think we can afford leaving it on hold for now, as it wouldn't come up until much later anyway. And come to think of it, I very well might manage to sort Timo's battles out witout it.

I will also put everyone's suggestions concerning Timo's development (and his relationship with Claire) in his post: anyone want to say anything else about him? Because if not, I am posting a new character before departing for my hometown, so that you guys can post feedback while I am away.
    Arya
    Arya

Post by Arya Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:46 pm

So I know I kinda ducked out of the topic earlier, but I was really trying to figure out an angle for where the Chinese Zodiac might come from, but honestly you guys figured something much more fitting and in-depth while I was gone. Ah well, sorry for that.

Anyway, last thing I want to re-iterate on Timo just so this post actually has a point besides apologizing: If you are going down the road for a romantic subtext for Timo towards Claire, it can't be his main personality trait. One of my biggest problems with Fairy Tail is the fact that despite many of the characters being fleshed out in certain arcs, they instantly revert back to their gimmick once they are finished with it (see: Cana and Tenrou Tree Arc). Timo is in less danger of this than most of FT's characters due to being a prominent character, but if you rely too much on his crush on Claire, he'll simply become known as the "dude who has a crush on Claire", as opposed to a legitimate character with feelings and a complex backstory.

Anyway, I just wanted to reiterate that, as it will probably require quite a bit of nuance when it comes to actually writing it, and maintaining that balance.
    Claire Anderson

Post by Claire Anderson Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:54 am

Arya, don't worry. There is no way, and I really mean NO WAY, that Timo could ever turn out to be a flat character. There are way too many layers to his personality, too much depth to the evolution of his fighting style, too much important twists and events in his backstory and development. I can guarantee, Timo will be exactly the awesome character you (as in, all of you, not just Arya) expect and desire him to be.

However, there is another character who is at a serious risk of turning out flat. Well she already is "flat", specially when compared to the ultra-busty Claire, but now I am talking about an entirely different kind of "flat". She is the reason why I wanted to wrap up discussion on Timo so quickly: I wanted to post her ASAP, because I will need A LOT of help figuring her out. Without further ado:

Raspberyl "Beryl" Valentine

Appearance:

Personality:

Powers and fighting style:

Basic ideas for development:

Miscellaneous:
    Joe Wiccan

Post by Joe Wiccan Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:06 pm

Ideas for development: You said that you don't want Beryl to have a deep dark backstory which is fine but for her to have motivation or purpose, the darkness could be shifted. being raised in the guild she actually has more experience than others and understands the importance of a positive attitude within the guild. Being raised in a world where so many of her guild mates often went missing or were returning with heavy hearts she would always try her best to raise the spirits of her guild mates through songs or simply by smiling.She could learn the importance of happiness from the same mentor Genny had to build familial connection and show how the guild once was and the influence the past had on current members of the guild.

Another fear could be depression. She is always so confident and happy and she knows it. She knows that she is essentially the heart of the team but she isn't obnoxious about it because she knows if she were to lose her smile The team would fall apart. Each character in the team brings something to the team creating a chaotic balance that if one were to leave would leave the team in disarray. Knowing she always needs to be happy could motivate her to keep strong but scare her in case she loses he cool.

Another fear could be a less Story based idea. She could fear the water because she can't swim or heights because of a childhood experience etc. Being scared of heights could created some difficult and funny moments with amanda using Aera magic.

Magic: I suggest something Akin to Guitar Magic which would give her control over listeners http://fairytail.wikia.com/wiki/Guitar_Magic obviously it would be changed to work with Beryl's character.

I dunno. Ideas.
    Claire Anderson

Post by Claire Anderson Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:29 pm

On her being raised by the guild: did I say it? o.O
    Although, I must admit it's a cool idea.

On her playing the role of the genki girl on purpose, for the sake of making her companions smile: I like it a lot, definitely using it.

On her being afraid of depressionn: but that is kinda linked to the fear of losing Amanda, isn't it?

On her non-plot fear: cannot be heights, because I want Amanda flying her around to be part of her fighting style. Water, however in the form of her being unable to swim, is cool: could be used for comedy early on, and for drama (villain throwing her to her watery death) later on.

On guitar magic: but that is kinda heavy metal, which doesn't go very well with her image of little plucky girl... So yeah, I think she should stick to either singing (becoming a sort of magical idol singer) or to painting (as a homage to Beryl from Tales of Hearts).
    In particular, my main doubt is: which one would work bettee in a WRITTEN fanfic, where people cannot see the paintings nor listen to the songs?
    Claire Anderson

Post by Claire Anderson Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:09 pm

Ok so, as I was fearing, this topic has been kinda dead during my stay in my hometown. Given my IRL situation this was probably to be expected: still, tomorrow I am going back to Bologna (finally), so yeah, I want to make up for the lost time, and progress as much as possible. I had some new ideas, I really cannot wait to start writing this thing, but I still need a lot of help "filling up the world" before I can do that.

So yeah, any more feedback on Beryl? As mentioned, she's kind of a complicated character, so I will need all the help I can get with her...
    Night Okari
    Night Okari

Post by Night Okari Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:51 am

Well I do have a question, sorry, you say that she may use Pict magic and having her wield a giant paintbrush to draw her own magic circles. Which it is? Or is she going to use the paint for Pict?
    Claire Anderson

Post by Claire Anderson Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:01 pm

Night Okari wrote:Well I do have a question, sorry, you say that she may use Pict magic and having her wield a giant paintbrush to draw her own magic circles. Which it is? Or is she going to use the paint for Pict?

Yeah, the idea is that she would do both things. Like, draw something and that something comes to life, or draw a magic circle to cast a spell that doesn't have a physical form. Like I dunno, to make a wild boar appear she'd draw an actual wild boar, while to control the winds she'd draw a magic circle.

But again, I am conflicted between this idea and Song Magic. Mostly because both have some limitations, in a WRITTEN fanfic. Your opinion on this?
    Joe Wiccan

Post by Joe Wiccan Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:12 am

I don't think the limitations are a severe as you think. either could work perfectly well enough in the story i do like the idea of the giant paint brush though something about it just seems good fun. As long as you are descriptive enough though i think either will be without issue.
    Claire Anderson

Post by Claire Anderson Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:23 am

Ok so, edited the OP to provide more detailed info for newcomers, as well as removing all reference to... Well, you know what.

Anyway, we are still stuck in regards to Beryl's magic: I am actually leaning more towards painting than music tight now, but both have their merits. I really cannot think of a decisive character in favor of either.

As far as her development goes, here is what I managed to put together, with the feedback I got so far:

1) Unlike my initial idea, Beryl would be an orphan, who was pretty much raised in the guild.

2) As part of the above, she spent her childhood in a guild that was heavily involved in the Civil War, and saw how much everyone suffered when the former guild master died. She therefore decided to become the energetic, cheerful, over the top girl she is today, in an attempt to cheer everyone up.

3) Amanda is her only true family, hence why she is so attached to her. Losing the cat could very well shatter her cheerful facade and leave her a crying mess. She also cannot swim to save her life, which at some point will come up in rather literal terms.

So yeah, we have added some serious background that JUSTIFIES her current comedic antics, but does not remove them or push them in a corner: Beryl is still first and foremost a comedic character.
    As part of her "approve of every form of love", she would be bicurious: this is an idea that was suggested by Kylo in the chat.

Anything else? Is this enough to save her from the risk of becoming a monodimensional character?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm